Friday, October 3, 2014

Bangers and Mash: A Tragic Tale of a Supper Gone Wrong


Bangers and Mash
Results will vary...


My beautiful Lovelies, I have a confession. I cannot cook. I try, I really do. But I have no skill. I feel like such a fraud, since I have a homemaking blog and all. But now I feel it is time to come clean and tell you all about The Saddest Supper Ever.  It  all started Saturday before last, when my Coco Bear took me to an Irish pub and I ordered the Bangers and Mash. Bangers and Mash is a traditional Irish/British dish containing sausage, gravy and potatoes. It is comfort food at its finest and super simple to make...or so I thought...but I was WRONG!!! Coco Bear seemed pretty taken with it and I thought I would make it for him last Thursday night. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The components to Bangers and Mash are simple, inexpensive and easily obtained at your local grocery store. Potatoes, gravy and sausage, simple right? WRONG! I guess you could say that my first mistake comes from not knowing the difference between a hot dog and a sausage...they both are basically ground up meat and seasoning in a casing, right? Not so much...So what I thought were "craft sausages" (according to the package) were actually fancy hot dogs.

(oh, so that is the difference!!!)

Homemade mashed potatoes...easy to make, right? Why were mine mashed on the outside and crunchy on the inside?  And gravy? Comes in a packet, just add water!!! Well I managed to mess that up too...it was supposed to "thicken" once taken off the heat source, but  the gravy flavored water that was in the pot, sloshing around five hours later determined that was a lie.



So I'm pretty much off the hook for cooking now...

3 comments: